Outdoor Play Safety
Outdoor play is essential to a child’s growth and well-being and Harmony is committed to protecting outdoor play as a central part of childhood. With that in mind, the following guidelines will help ensure safe outdoor experiences for children and families.
- Parents should apply sunscreen on their child before entering the building. A sun hat is helpful in keeping the sun off of your child's face.
- A water bottle, clearly labeled with your child's name, should be brought each day of your child's program.
- Light-colored long pants will be required for nature walks at Harmony, even in the warm summer weather. Please send along with your child if they arrive in shorts.
- Closed sneakers or boots are required with long socks (preferably white). Facilitators will help children tuck pants into socks during nature walks.
- Our property is sprayed by Mosquito Squad using a natural, non-toxic blend of peppermint, garlic and lemongrass oils. Parents are welcome to apply a preferred bug spray on their child before entering the building.
- Facilitators will perform a tick check upon completing nature walks which includes a visual scan of each child's clothing, exposed skin and head.
- Upon arriving home, please remove clothing and put them right into the wash or seal them in a tied plastic bag until washing. Finish clothes in the drier.
- Perform a tick check of your child without clothing on, following the guidelines below.