Outdoor Play Safety
Outdoor play is essential to a child’s growth and well-being and Harmony is committed to protecting outdoor play as a central part of childhood. With that in mind, the following guidelines will help ensure safe outdoor experiences for children and families.
- Light-colored long pants will be required for nature walks at Harmony, even in the warm summer weather. Please send along with your child if they arrive in shorts.
- Closed sneakers or boots are required with long socks (preferably white). Facilitators will help children tuck pants into socks during nature walks.
- Parents are welcome to apply a preferred bug spray on children at drop-off. Prior to nature walks facilitators will apply our homemade essential oil spray (distilled water, witch hazel, as well as lavender, citronella, geranium, clove, lemon, and eucalyptus essential oils).
- Facilitators will perform a tick check upon completing nature walks, including a visual scan of each child's clothing and head.
- Upon arriving home, please remove clothing and put them right into a wash or seal them in a tied plastic bag until washing. Finish clothes in the drier.
- Perform a tick check of your child without clothing on, following the guidelines below.